General Financial Assistance

The St. Vincent de Paul Society provides rent & utility assistance through one-on-one appointments with a financial coordinator who is able to assess the needs of each person served as well as develop strategies to encourage self-sufficiency.

Please Note:

This program is for people who have NOT had a COVID-19 related job loss. If you have had a COVID-19 related job loss, please click here to apply to the ERA program.

Applying for Assistance:

  • Limited slots for financial assistance will open online on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month at 10am (with exceptions for holidays).

  • Documents must be uploaded with your application. All documents are required, EVEN IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU BEFORE.

  • If you do not have your documents, or you only submit partial documents, your application will be denied and you will have to reapply.

  • You will receive a follow-up email stating whether your application was approved or denied.

  • If your application is approved, you will receive instructions on how to schedule your appointment.


Applications are received and reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please do not submit more than one application.

The application opens the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month at 10am. Documents are required at the time of application.

Need Help?

If you do not have a computer, go to any branch of your South Bend Public Library to access one. If you have trouble uploading your documents, ask a librarian to make a tech appointment.

Required Documentation:

  1. Identity Documents:

    • YOUR Photo ID (Drivers License/State ID/Passport or SB City ID)

    • Birth Certificate, Photo or Social Security Card for EVERY other person living in your home, including your children.

  2. Proof of current address:

    • Current lease or a piece of mail with your address on it - utility bill, etc.

  3. Lease Agreement or Mortgage statement 

    • Signed, Current, ALL Pages

  4. Documentation of Income for ALL adults in the household. Examples of this documentation include:

    • Employment Income

      • Work Earnings - pay stubs/payroll printout, etc.

      • Unemployment Benefits - screenshot or scan of most recent payment

      • Workman's Compensation

      • Alimony/Spousal Support

      • Child Support

      • Business Earnings - tax return for a business you own

    • State/Government Benefits

      • Disability Income (SSI/SSDI) - printout

      • SSI benefits for any dependents or benefits received by a widow

      • TANF - statement

      • SNAP (food stamps) statement

      • Section 8 benefits - including utility check

      • VA disability compensation

      • Private insurance disability benefits statement

    • Social Security/Retirement

      • Statement of Monthly Benefit from Social Security

      • VA Pension

      • Private pension benefits

      • Earned Income Tax Credit

      • Investment Income

  5. For help with utilities - most current utility bill with supporting detail of charges for EVERY utility you seek help with.

  6. For help with rental assistance -  statement from the landlord of rent amount due with the landlord's name and mailing address. (You will need to ask your landlord for this - typically called a Rent Ledger or Rent Statement).

  7. Additional documentation, if it applies to you:

    • EAP (Energy assistance program) document from REAL Services

    • Documents from visits to any other agency that you have received financial assistance from for the same bills you scanned before.

one on one financial assistance

Budgeting assistance, job searches & resume creation services are also available by appointment.


These services are provided in part through CSBG funds provided by Real Services, Inc.

Clients are not charged fees for CSBG services.